Healthy aging starts with a good diet. Eating right is the single most important thing a person can do for themselves. It’s okay to treat your taste buds now and again with some of those manmade pleasures, but as the saying goes "You are what you eat"
Here are some foods that are proven to help you stay younger from the inside out :
- Nuts. High in omega-3s, nuts will do wonders for your skin and health. The best nuts for aging beautifully would be the walnut, almond, brazil nut and the macadamia. They are high in iron, zinc, copper and magnesium. This will enhance your immune and digestive systems, improve your skin and can even help control cholesterol.
- Ginger. This is a spicy root that is often overlooked. It will boost your circulatory system and even help with aches and pains. Try to include ginger in your daily diet.
- Garlic. Forget about the scent, garlic is truly a health wonder. It is cholesterol’s natural enemy and the long-term cardio protective effects of garlic are well worth the temporary consequences to your breath. If you don’t like garlic, odor free garlic supplements can be used.
- Avocado. High in healthy monounsaturated fat, avocado is tremendous for your health. It contains natrual Vitamin E which helps to prevent skin sagging and aging. It can also help with menopausal “hot flashes”.
- Berries. Be it blueberries, blackberries or acai berries, get some berries in your diet! They contain phytochemicals known as flavanoids what are powerful antioxidants that will combat free radicals.
- Water. This one may seem obvious but you wouldn’t believe how many people do not get their daily recommended 8 glasses of water. It flushes the toxins out of your body and nourishes your skin from the inside out. Providing you with moist, healthy skin.
- Watermelon. Another fruit that is often looked, watermelon contains many beneficial vitamins such as A, B and C which aide against free radical damage and aging of your skin.
- Whole Grain, whole wheat pasta, rice. Give the body a consistent flow of energy to keep you going through the day. Whole wheat pastas are high in Vitamin B and fiber, giving you double the fiber of regular pasta.
- Kale, brussels sprouts, turnips, radishes. Also known as cruciferous vegetables, try and consume these raw in their natural state or steamed very lightly. This preserves the integrity of the vitamins your body needs to fight off toxins and disease. Vegetables should be consumed on a daily basis.
- Green tea. For thousands of years green tea has been known to be a longevity supplement. It gives you a mild boost from caffeine and contains antioxidants that your body needs. It is wise to work this into your diet and even replace coffee with it because it will give you a boost and help your body fight the aging process at the same time.
- If you work these anti-aging foods into your diet you will see a big difference not only in your skin but in your overall health :)