Thursday, April 19, 2012

Chinese Face Mapping

I have been having an extremely tough time with my skin. I had to have surgery and my hormones were all over the place. Normally, I wouldn't talk about it but I will include a snip it of what went on so you can be aware. I had polyps on my uterus removed. It wasn't detected on an ultrasound and I had to fight until I saw the right doctor ! It was discovered when I was in surgery that I had polyps. And my face was showing every single sign of my hormones being ALL over the place. But everything appeared on my skin. The skin is the largest organ of the body and you can actually learn a lot about you body by looking at the skin on your face.





Above is a picture of a typical Chinese Face Mapping sketch. Their theory is that the skin we have on the outside reflects what we are experiencing on the inside. And , interestingly enough. I had breakouts on my chin and upper cheek area. So, it was on point with what was going on inside of my body !

Chinese ‘Mien Shiang’ literally means face reading and is also known as face mapping. Face mapping  helps you understand the underlying health and well being of yourself or a loved one. Face mapping is very popular in the Chinese culture and I have to say that I am convinced that it is true.




Below are what some of the symptoms may mean : 


(don't freak out and diagnose yourself with something, this is just something I found to be so interesting).


 I learned about it a lot while I was in esthetician school as I worked with Dermalogica products and the line also believes in doing face mapping. It wasn't until recently that I actually believed we could diagnose issues by looking at our faces. We always had representatives from Dermalogica coming in and face mapping us and most of my breakouts even then were hormonal. But, in your twenties, that is expected. 


 When my breakouts became far more pronounced is when I started to actually realize something was wrong. I had gotten tested for a hormone imbalance and it turned out I had one ! So, listen to your skin.





Forehead : Liver and Gall bladder

Cause:
Lack of sleep, eating too much fatty foods, drinking too much alcohol will lead to a spotty forehead. This reflects your digestion and you will need to help your body with less processed and fatty foods.
You may also need to stop wearing caps and hats (or make sure they are clean), avoid having a fringe and keep your forehead clear of anything that may irritate it.
Remedies:
Eat as much raw food as you can and drink lots of water to help your liver. Get lots of fresh air, do some brisk walking to get the circulation going and rest more.

Between the Eyebrows : Stomach and Liver

Cause:
Again this could be excessive rich foods or processed foods overloading your system. You could also be lactose intolerant and finding it hard to digest heavier foods such as meat.
Remedies:
Raw foods, lots of water and try to cut out on diary and meat products for a week or two and see there are any improvements.

Temples and Brows : Kidneys

Cause:
Too much toxin, too much stress and too little water – causing too much ‘heat’ inside your body
Remedies:
Drink lots of pure water and eat ‘cooling’ foods such as watermelon, cucumbers, apples to combat the excessive ‘heat’.

Nose : Heart

Cause:
High cholesterol and fatty foods will block arteries and impede blood circulation.Toxins will try to ‘escape’ through the skin as the other organs become overloaded.
Remedies:
Drink herbal teas to reduce cholesterol. The best is Organic Green Tea as it has gone through less fermentation process and is full of anti-oxidants; or you could also try Oolong Tea 2 -3 times a day. Do 30 minutes of light to moderate exercise daily and eat low fat fresh produce and lean protein.

Upper Cheeks : Lungs

Cause: 
Pollution, smokingasthma, respiratory ailments will all lead to breakouts and broken capillaries in this area. This is also the area where rosacea and acne could also flare up.
Remedies:Fresh air and exercises that increase oxygen intake will help as well as avoiding fatty and spicy foods. Again avoid all the culprits such as caffeine, alcohol, processed foods and try to avoid too much diary products and meat. Fresh fruits and vegetables are the way to go.

Lower Cheeks : Stomach and Liver

Cause:
Indigestion, overload of toxins and too much rich foods. You will find that this and the mouth area are areas that flare up after a festive season such as Christmas where there are more fatty and sugary foods around.
Remedies:
Go easy on sugary and fatty foods. Tempting as they are, eat a small portion or a small bite instead of eating the whole thing. Drink mint, aniseed or camomille teas after a big meal to aid your digestion. This is the time where a one to three day skin detox juice fast will do wonders to clear your skin.

Mouth and Chin : Stomach

Cause:
You are what you eat and it will show around the mouth. If you eat fast foods and no greens, then you will experience eruptions around the mouth and lower cheek area. Check also for teeth or gum problems and whether a change of toothpaste has had any adverse effects.
Remedies:
Cut out the processed foods, anything fried, spicy or oily and go fresh and green. Add more fiber to your diet and drink lots of water. 

Jawline : Colon and Ovaries

Cause:
Hormonal imbalances due to monthly periods for women, stress and other causes could link your acne and hormones together. Some medication will also cause a reaction in this area. Late nights and a change of climate, living habits (eg: travel), and also anxiety and stress can cause breakouts in this area.
Remedies:
Yoga, plenty of rest, deep breathing, meditation will all help to balance your mind and your body. Eat simply and organic where possible concentrating on leafy greens and fresh produce. Fish oil Omega 3-6-9 and evening primrose oil will also help.

Ears : Kidney

Cause:
Too much salty foods, not enough water, too much caffeine will cause the ear area to flare up.
Remedies:
Cut out on salt and beware of foods that have added salt. Read all food labels carefully. Drink water regularly during the day.
Although face mapping is a good indicator of our inner health, there are other factors also that contribute to acne skin problems. Personal hygiene, clothing, cleaning products, weather, foods, lifestyle all play a role  in our skin’s overall health and appearance.

I hope that this helps some people. It is something I have been enveloping myself in, since my surgery. I have been drinking water like crazy, I have not been eating after 7:30. I have changed a my outlook and I do think it is extremely important to nourish our body from the inside out ! I am not saying I won't have days where I will eat like crazy because I am sure I will splurge ! But, I will be more conscious of what and when I eat ! 
Thanks for reading !

13 comments:

  1. This was very informative! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. This was really interesting, thanks :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I get the acne on the jaw area and it makes total sense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had NO idea you had surgery L!! I wish you would have told me!
    How are you feeling?
    This post was SO helpful. I truly think I have an hormonal imbalance bc my skin still breaks out. Even after seeing dermatologist and trying EVERY product.
    How is ur skin now? Hope ur feeling better honey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mama. I am doing a bit better. My skin is definitely better. But not back to 100% . I didn't want to bother everyone and tell them about my surgery . I was so drained ! I will send you a text in a few and explain better :)

      Delete
  5. Hi....! Great post.The information on your website is good. Looking forward for more postings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your raise my mind to read your blog and now i thanks you also for signing me here and i hope you do visit my web thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a pretty interesting post. Thanks for the info. such a very great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a really interesting read and I think it sounds spot on (excuse the pun) for what's going on with me and what is showing on my skin. As a single mum of a toddler I don't get much rest and I am stressed a lot of the time. I quite often have aches in my kidney area which I only have to drink water to resolve. I have spots on my forehead and my temples and it seems water is the answer, or at least the first thing to try. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete