Wednesday, August 15, 2012

How To Grow Your Hair Naturally



I think at some point as women, we are always bored with our hair. And, whether we make the decision to cut our hair or dye it a different color it is just to express ourselves. In a sense it is fun to see how you look with new hair color or cut.


In 2007,  I made a very bold decision to cut my long healthy hair that fell just below where your bra sits, into a bob. Think, Victoria Beckham, who was my inspiration. I loved my hair so much when I had a bob. It was so stacked and layered and I really had it early on in the bob trend so wherever I went women were asking me where I got my haircut and who I went to etc.




This was not even when my hair was at its shortest.
This was late 2007
(no clue what I am doing in this picture, lol)




I kept my hair that way for quite a while. Probably a little over a year. I don't have many pictures of my hair because at that time I was using a different computer and digital camera and I have not a clue where that is. But, I do have some random pictures where you can see my hair. I had layers in my hair that were about 1 inch long in total. My hairdresser used to razor the bottom of my hair. I LOVED it. 




This is early 2008 (with my husband, then boyfriend in Turks & Caicos, our first ever vacation together )
My hair is in a complete untamed state here my hair had great texture bc of all of the angles
But, this is around the time I decided to grow my hair out ! 


When you have all of the layers I had, growing your hair out is a real pain, to say the least. I don't really have many pictures because I hated myself and that is when I  would say I was having an awkward stage. My hair was just a puff ball. I had some really unruly days which I remember wanting to cry and wondering why I ever cut my precious locks off !



That is just the waiting game ! You have to stick it out. And, being grumpy about it doesn't grow your hair ( I tried, it didn't work, lol ). So, once my hair reach my shoulders I still had layers that were up to my chin. I cut it all one length and then it became more manageable. But, I couldn't walk around with my hair all wacky looking any more and as much as I did not want to cut any length. It made a huge difference having my shorter hair be one length. As, opposed to shoulder length hair with pieces popping out of all sides.




After all of that ( I am probably forgetting to mention that this is years, it is not easy !) If you are bored with your hair , curl it if it is straight or straighten it if it is curly ! I don't recommend cutting hair after everything I went through. Unless, it is something you want for a long period of time or if it helps you with saving time. Other than that. I would dye my hair before I cut it (drastically) ever again.


I also had hair extensions (the kind that are glued in with strips)  put in my hair to make up for my inadequate hair (lol) this was only about a year and a half ago actually. I loved my experience with the type of hair extensions I had. They were called " The Platinum Seamless Hair Extensions " I had them done at The Secret Garden Salon in Staten Island, New York.




Link above to the salon I went to. The girl who put in my hair extensions was named Lauren. If you go mention my name. She may not remember me. But, I plan on going back to her for a haircut when I go back to New York to visit.


Lots of people complain about hair extensions (semi- permanent) ruining their hair. I had NO problems with them done this way. The cost was $400.00 and it took 45 mins. As opposed to the individual bead hair extensions which at the time were $800 - $1200 and the process takes about 4-6 hours ! And, I was getting married so, I wanted long hair for the big day and didn't want to be bothered with clip ins possibly falling out. I removed my hair extensions myself with coconut oil which loosened the glue and they came out SO easily and I had no issues. If I were to recommend any hair extensions I would say see if anyone in your area offers this type of service.

I adored my hair extensions !!! 



^^^^^

I loved my hair extensions. I wanted my real hair to be like that ! So, I started to really make sure I was paying careful attention to my hair. There is no " Big Secret " to growing your hair. My hair grew very fast considering where it was to where my hair is now. I would say my hair is back to exactly the length it was before I cut it. (bra strap length)



Tips on growing out hair -



* Drink Tons of Water - no brainer !

* I use a shampoo that is for thinning hair it is called Nioxin I use step 2. This definitely accelerated the growth of my hair !







Nioxin can be found at Ulta  HERE






* I take a supplement called Viviscal which is also for thinning hair but it also promotes the growth of new hair. And, it really works ! 

Purchased this from Ulta as well HERE




* I do weekly deep conditioning treatments with Coconut Oil.  It is good to massage your scalp to stimulate blood flow and thus, stimulate hair growth. So, I massage it into my scalp for about 10-15 minutes and throw my hair in a pony tail and either go about my day or I go to sleep and wash it normally the next day. I like to leave it in at least 8 hours, to reap the benefits.



This is my favorite coconut oil. It was $10.99 and it was never heated which is important some coconut oils are heated in the process to make the oil. Look for a coconut oil that specifies it is cold pressed. These will provide you the best nutrition to your hair. This one is amazing and it smells AMAZING, sort of like a mini tropical vacation , lol.



I am going to go through all of the shampoo that I use for different purposes. It may seem like I am a shampoo hoarder but, I like to switch up my shampoo often. To keep my hair guessing. It is also another thing I think that has helped with growth.






Alterna Caviar Shampoo
I use this when I have been out in the sun
because it hydrates my hair and makes it feel extremely soft                                                                                     
     

    

Suave Keratin Infusion

This SERIOUSLY AMAZING ! It is $3.50 at the drugstore and it is currently my favorite shampoo out of everything I am writing about ! If you buy one shampoo, buy this one. They have one for hair that  is not color treated as well.
( My hair is not color treated but, I figure they will use less harsh ingredients in the one for color treated hair, so, I usually favor those.)





Garnier Fructis Pure Clean 

This is what I use when my hair has had a lot of styling products in it. Or , if I did a coconut oil mask and my hair feels like it might be weighed down. This cleans your hair thoroughly. I used to love the Suave clarifying shampoo, until I found this one.





Herbal Essences Body Envy

I use this when my hair feels weighed down as well. And, when I feel like my hair looks limp.  






Bumble and Bumble  ( alojoba shampoo and Seaweed conditioner )

This combo of alojoba shampoo and seaweed conditioner makes my hair like pure SILK
It weighs it down a bit. But, I feel like it really makes my hair as smooth as it can be.







Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle

Anything that has tea tree or peppermint or eucalyptus or anything to stimulate your scalp will also stimulate your hair to grow. I alternate between this and Paul Mitchell  Tea Tree Plus. Both are amazing.





Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special

Anything that has tea tree or peppermint or eucalyptus or anything to stimulate your scalp will also stimulate your hair to grow. I alternate between this and Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle.  Both are amazing.







Organix renewing Moroccan Argan Oil

Very gentle on the hair and smells amazing ! !








David Babaii for Wildaid Amplifying shampoo

I just ran out of the conditioner to this. But it is great. You get both Body and texture from this shampoo when used with the conditioner , as well.










When I do straighten , blow-dry or curl my hair I am very cautious to use heat protectant(s)






Dove Heat Defense

Breakthru Heat Defense 

Beyond the Zone Smooth Criminal


I use all 3.  When my hair is wet I apply breakthru heat defense , then I mist over with Dove heat defense. While I am using heat on my hair I will spray it with smooth criminal every so often through the process.





Macadamia Natural oil Nourishing leave in conditioner


I always apply this to my hair when it is almost dry. When your hair is wet the product does not really get absorbed into you hair. So , try and use things like this when your hair is 50-75 % dry to really reap the benefits. 




This is a current picture of my hair. It is curled under at the ends. I am still not at my ideal hair length. I want it to grow about 4 inches and I will start layering it to give it more depth and volume









Also, stating the obvious, I eat a diet high in protein I eat my veggies every single day and drink a green smoothie every single morning. I think that if I didn't follow this kind of lifestyle of eating well my hair would not have grown as long as it did.




Another thing, take your vitamins ! 


I was taking pre-natal vitamins for 6 months before my wedding (FOR MY HAIR, PEOPLE, lol) and it reallllllly made my hair grow like weeds. The only downfall was that all of my hair grew back quickly so wherever you shave or wax be prepared to step that up to double the amount you do now. But, to me the length of my hair was what I wanted when I was planning my wedding. So, I didn't care. But, now I just take a regular women's multi vitamin.

I am not telling you that you need to go out and buy ten bottles of shampoo and your hair will grow. I do recommend viviscal HIGHLY if you want your hair to grow and Nioxin if your hair is thinning. I shed like crazy ! When I use nioxin I notice a large difference in the amount of hair going down the drain.


Another tip , avoid brushing hair while it is wet. It will just break your hair and cause major split ends. Comb your hair from the bottom up when it is damp. This will lessen the chance that your comb will grab onto a knot and pull out a bunch of hair. * also use a wide tooth comb on damp hair, NO BRUSHING.




I think that is all I have as far as maintaining hair health and growth if anyone has any questions don't hesitate to leave a comment below or contact me via email !!


Have a good one ! 




17 comments:

  1. Hey doll! I remember when you had short hair, it was hot! You could be bald and you'd be beautiful! I love your blog and I'm so happy you're doing well! Big kiss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you did this post! I have been having such a HARD time growing my hair out. I swear i have lots so much hair the past year with my hormones being so off =( I have tried so many different things and nothing seems to help. Buying my second box of viviscal and taking pre natals. Also have Nixon. Hoping between the 3 it stimulates some growth. I just want Kardashian hair! (even though they clearly have extensions)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I know the feeling my hormones are crazy too. I have a bad imbalance, which continued to give me problems & lead to my surgery. Hormones SUCK ! I want Kardashian hair too, lol. But as my own real hair. Major hair envy !

      Delete
  3. Awesome post. I already have long hair but I know a lot of girls that would really appreciate this. :) x angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is nice blog and unique information related to Hair growth.Thanks for sharing such information.Finpecia

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, I loooove Suave Keratin! It not only works great - it smells great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am addicted to the smell of it !! Amazing !!

      Delete
  6. You can learn to grow your hair naturally with the ehlp of the post here

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome hair information on this page. I am totally in favor of writers of this post. Thanks you for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think there are 5 methods for faster hair growth:
    1. Be careful how you treat your hair.
    2. Change you lifestyle
    3. Eat healthy
    4. Take supplements
    5. Go to your hairdresser regularly
    You can read more about hair growth in http://www.the-healthiest.com/archives/294

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post here! I have grown my hair extremely fast after using Natural hair regrowth supplements. Anyways nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for giving a quick run down on all those different products. It's interesting to know that even the ones for thinning hair make a noticeable difference.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoy reading and also appreciate your work.shine hair online

    ReplyDelete
  12. You still stunningly beautiful even if your hair's short but I'd really appreciated that you share with us some useful information regarding the product you mentioned above.

    Indian Hair

    ReplyDelete

  13. This is nice blog and unique information related to Hair growth.Thanks for sharing such information.


    ReplyDelete
  14. here is my beauty fashion blog : www.swisskissxoxo.blogspot.com
    my latest post is about how to make hair grow faster for those of you interested ;))

    xx

    ReplyDelete